Mega Millions and EuroMillions Rules for Foreigners
Play the odds from abroad! With the help of online lottery operators and Betminded, learn how to navigate the rules and play major national and European lotteries. By playing Mega Millions and EuroMillons online and outside of your country, you will not only save time, you will save money.
Mega Millions, formerly known as the The Big Game, holds the record for having created the highest-valued jackpot in the world. The jackpot begins at US $15 million and is drawn 2 times a week, Tuesday and Friday at 23:00 EST in Atlanta, Georgia.
EuroMillions is the largest rolling jackpot in Europe and has a guaranteed minimum jackpot of € 15 million. Like Mega Million, it is also drawn twice a week but in Paris, France.
Read on for a comprehensive overview of both the Mega Millions rules for foreigners and the EuroMillions rules for foreigners.
How to Play Mega Millions Online and Outside of the US
Provided below are the rules for how foreigners can play Mega Millions:
- Tickets for Mega Millions are for sale by lottery retailers in 43 US States, in the District of Colombia and in the U.S Virgin Islands.
- To obtain tickets outside of these jurisdictions, foreigners can use online lottery operators, to locally purchase an official lottery ticket on their behalf.
- All reputable retailers will require you to register and provide billing information before purchasing tickets on your behalf.
- Once the tickets have been bought, the online retailer will make scans of both the official ticket and the receipt.
- To avoid online scams be sure that the site you are using is legitimate. For a comparison of two online retailers already reviewed by Betminded read here.
- After the draw, the winning numbers are published online. Retailers will generally only contact you if you have won.
- You can then choose to either have the winning ticket sent to you, or to authorize the retailer to collect the winnings on your behalf.
- If you elect to do the latter, you will then be prompted to verify your identity for security and tax reasons.
- If you win a significant amount or even perhaps the jackpot, it is likely that you will have to personally claim your prize at the local Mega Millions office.
- At this time the agent may assist you in making the necessary legal arrangements to collect your prize.
Can Foreigners Win Mega Millions?
- Yes, foreign citizens can legally win Mega Millions.
- The tax for a non-US citizen is a flat 30% of the winnings.
- Additional tax treaties may also apply depending on your citizenship.
Playing EuroMillions Online and Outside Europe
Provided below are the rules for how foreigners can play EuroMillions:
- Tickets can be purchased in any of the participating European countries and are made available for sale to foreigners via online retailers.
- Individuals must register their personal and billing information beforehand and tickets must be bought no later than 20:30 CET on the day of the draw.
- Prizes may only be redeemed in the country that they were purchased in.
- If the ticket was purchased by an online retailer and is only for a small amount, they may accept the funds on your behalf and later deposit it to your account.
- Depending on the retailer and the size of your winnings, you may be required to travel to the country where the ticket was purchased to personally collect your prize.
In the UK
- In addition to the main draw, UK EuroMillions offers players an opportunity to earn an extra £1 million with UK Millionaire Raffle.
- This lottery is played identically to its European counterpart with the exception that a unique randomly generated 9 digit code is printed on the back of both tickets.
- This code is automatically entered into the UK Millionaire Raffle.
- Big wins may require travel to the UK.
- UK National Lottery winnings are generally tax-free.
Can non-European citzens win?
- Yes, non-European citizens can legally win EuroMillions.
- Winnings are tax free up to € 2,500.
- Any amount higher is subject to 20% local tax.
- Depending on your citizenship additional international tax treaties may apply.
- Prizes must be claimed within a set number of days, the deadline will depend on the country of your ticket's country of origin.