How to Fill in a Betting Slip at your Local Bookie?
Filling in a betting slip can be more challenging than expected, but our guide will make it a piece of cake for you. From horse racing events such as the Grand National to football matches, here's how you can fill in a betting slip quickly and easily.
How to read a betting slip
Prominent operators such as William Hill, Ladbrokes or Bet365, will have betting slips in a very similar format. So it will be easy for you to get the hang of things. Typically, a high street betting slip will be composed of 5 main elements:
- Name of the variable you are placing your wager on
- Sum of money
- Sporting event (this could be anything from an international football match, to the outcome of the next series of Eastenders).
Here's a clear example of what a William Hill betting slip looks like, and how it's been filled in for a horse racing event:
How to Fill out a Betting Slip
Since you are handed a blank betting slip with no pre-defined categories, filling it out can be a little daunting for newbies. But after you follow these this guide to filling out a betting slip, you won't be lost in translation for long.
Bet on Football
Writing a betting slip for football or any other sports can be learnt very quickly. Just follow these short steps and you're in the game:
- Specify the outcome you are predicting (for example, Arsenal to draw with Chelsea, or Arsenal to win 2-1 against Chelsea)
- Write the odds of the event, which will be shown on the screens in the shop
- Circle the odds or draw a little C around them
- Write the amount that you want to bet on: first on the sheet, and then again in the designated box
- Take your slip to the till
- The operator staff will put your slip through a machine and give you a receipt
Bet on Horse Racing
First off, it's worth mentioning that betting in a local bookie shop is a lot easier than reading a race card on the track. After you learn a few short requirements, you can consider yourself an expert.
- Pick up the betting slip
- Study the series of screens in the shop, they will display the latest odds and all the available bets
- Choose the horse with the best chances of winning, write down its name on the sheet
- Write the odds you will buy (a novice should always choose the ones displayed on the screen)
- Circle the odds or draw a C around them so that they cannot be tampered with
- Date the exact time and date of the event which will be shown on the screen (e.g. Ascot, 3.34pm)
- Write down on your betting slip the amount you want to bet and the outcome you are betting for
- Confirm the amount again at the bottom of the page in the dedicated box
- The operator will register the information
|BET ON FOOTBALL||BET ON HORSE RACING|
The great thing about betting in your local shop rather than online is that if you have any problems, the staff will be there to help you with any questions you might have.
To see the process in action, here's a useful video of how to fill in a betting slip:
You Might Like: Our Guide to Betting on the Champions League
Choosing your Bookmaker
Option 1: Online
Top operators like William Hill, Ladbrokes or Betfair, offer complete online platforms you can bet on. Welcome bonuses and various promotions are at stake, therefore we recommend you to check out their offers before anything else.
Yes, betting online is just a different story, but if you made up your mind already, read some tips on how to navigate the online betting scene, by visiting our review of the top bookmakers. Then, explore the following bookmaker offers and enjoy the betting experience.
|CHOOSE YOUR FAVOURITE OPERATOR|
CHOOSE YOUR WELCOME BONUS
|Bet £10 Get £30 free bets|
|Bet £5 Get £20|
|Up to £100 in free bets|
|£20 risk-free bet & £5 same game multi|
New customers using Promo Code P30 only, min £10 stake, min odds ½, free bets paid as 2x £15 (30 days expiry), free bet/payment method/player/country restrictions apply.
See full T&Cs
18+ New UK+IRE customers. Paypal and certain deposit types and bet types excluded. Min £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 = 4 x £5 free bets. Free bets valid for 7 days on sports, stake not returned, restrictions apply. T&Cs apply. T&Cs apply
New customer offer. Place 5 x £10 or more bets to receive £20 in free bets. Repeat up to 5 times to receive maximum £100 bonus. Min odds 1/2 (1.5). Exchange bets excluded. T&Cs apply
New customers only. Place your FIRST bet on any Sportsbook market and if it loses we will refund your stake in CASH. Max refund is £20. Only deposits made using Cards or Apple Pay will qualify. £5 Same Game Multi free bet will be available to claim from the promotions hub after the qualifying bet has been settled & will be valid for 7 days. T&Cs apply.
Option 2: Offline
Despite the popularity of online betting, traditional betting shops haven't gone out of fashion just yet. William Hill, for instance, has 2,300 shops scattered around the UK, so finding your local shop will take two seconds. It is your choice where you want to place your bet, but there are plenty of options for your betting experience.
Other bookmakers have also impressive location tools to help you identify every possible betting outlet in the UK. With these in-built systems, you can get precise directions to find your local betting shop.