Best of Horse Racing Magazines, Newspapers and Blogs
Where can punters go to read about the best racing news?
It depends. Are you looking for a format to fit your tablet? Are you more interested in the UK track or the Irish track ?
Do you prefer to find a racing section within a wider newspaper?
We have reviewed the best magazine, newspapers and blogs across all of these categories.
These are our editor’s picks..
Top Magazines and Blogs in the UK
The UK is a tough market and there are many outstanding publications.
However, depending on your specifications, we have found a few front runners.
Racing Ahead- The Bestseller
Racing Ahead is the UK’s best selling Horse Racing magazine.
Although their online platform doesn’t have much free content, the subscription is really worthwhile.
However, as free online blogs go, it doesn’t match the competition.
The digital subscription gives customers access to their entire online archive at no extra cost.
- Annual hard copy subscription for £30.00
- A selection of racing books available on the site
- A digital subscription £23.99 for 1 year
The Horse and Hound – Equestrian lifestyle
The Horse and Hound is not just a horse racing magazine.
In fact, it is the magazine for all things horse related in the UK.
If you are a horse-owner or a prospective horse buyer this certainly the site for you.
Compared to At the Races, the handicapping content is thin.
However it has two advantages, firstly it is magazine so you can get a hard copy and secondly the content is much more diverse.
Nevertheless it is fair to say that there is more of lifestyle focus than a specialized racing one.
- Subscription on sale for £93.99
- Free iPad and iPhone trial version
- Latest horse sales and horse box sales
- Coverage of a wider variety of equestrian sports including Polo and Show Jumping as well as Horse Racing
At the Races – The Bettor’s Choice
With 81.7 million followers on Twitter it is no wonder that At the Races is one of the UK’s most popular racing platforms.
Packed with videos, live odds and handicapping tips, this is a perfect platform for avid horse bettors.
The best part is that this platform is completely free and packed with a truly exceptional amount of content.
All you need to do to access it, is sign up for free in order to confirm that you are over 18.
This racing website is more of a blog than a magazine.
- In-built expert blogs by industry experts
- Live Racing Streaming
- Free PDF Print outs of Racing Cards
- Live odds which auto-refresh every minute.
- For a glossy magazine opt for Racing Ahead or The Horse and Hound
- If you are less about racing and more about Polo, then The Horse and Hound is definitely the mag for you
- If you are all about live odds go for At the Races
- If you are keen on a digital subscription at a rock bottom price, Racing Ahead is a solid choice.
Top Newspapers in the UK
Daily Telegraphy Horse Racing
It may not be as detailed as At the Races but the Daily Telegraph certainly gives a very comprehensive overview of the British Horse Racing scene.
You will get daily handicapping tips as well as news for all the main races.
This newspaper stands out for its state of the arts graphics.
- Live updates of all the races starting
- Expert tips and odds
- Downloadable form guides every day
- Interactive predictor
The Daily Mail Horse Racing
Like the Daily Telegraph, the Daily Mail, is an impressive platform for Horse Racing News.
They have less betting features than the former but the site does offer a “betting service”.
There is a lot of editorial handicapping content with advice from industry experts.
- Regularly updated Race cards
- Horse racing news
- Regularly updated results
Best Racing Newspapers for the Irish Track
The Irish Track is very popular in the UK.
Here are the publications to keep up with the horse racing progress on the other side of the Irish sea.
Although At the Races and Races ahead do cover Irish racing news,
These are specialized racing publications straight from the horse’s mouth.
This site combines horse sales with results, tips and racing news.
The Irish News is truly an all rounder.
You can even browse for land.
- Mobile site
- Horse tracker
- Results and live odds
- Bloodstock section
The Irish Racing Post
The Racing Post is a very prominent racing publication, their Irish version is certainly worth a read.
Their digital edition gives you access to the full issue online.
- RSS Feed
- Detailed editorial content
- Full digital version free of charge
Best Papers for the Aussie Track
The Aussie track may further afield but it is close to many British hearts.
If you want the latest racing results, racenet.com.au is a good place to start.
Punter.com.au will give you PDFs per region, so if you want to check out Australian Race Cards, this is your best bet.
HorseRacing.com.au is a good place to try if your emphasis is on editorial content.